Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Schools Kicking "Whole Word" (aka "Sight") Teaching to the Curb; Embracing Phonics

3 posters

Go down

Schools Kicking "Whole Word" (aka "Sight") Teaching to the Curb; Embracing Phonics Empty Schools Kicking "Whole Word" (aka "Sight") Teaching to the Curb; Embracing Phonics

Post by 2cent Sat May 20, 2023 6:38 pm

This is WONDERFUL news!
It is not often that the nation looks to Mississippi as a shining example of public policy, but there is no denying what the state has accomplished since it obliged teachers to use phonics in classrooms. From 49th in 2013 to 21st in 2022, Mississippi fourth graders have posted reading scores that have turned heads.

Now, states are following suit, with Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia all recently passing phonics-only laws. Ohio is in the process of passing its own law, vigorously opposed by teachers unions, who seem at every turn to act against the interests of children.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/editorials/more-states-should-follow-the-science-on-reading

Of course the teachers unions are fighting this tooth and nail. Why, is anyone's guess. Change is hard? But, heck, even New York has gone with phonics laws. A shame states have to make a law in order for students to learn, but it's best they're doing it, nonetheless.

I'm hyped!

2cent
2cent

HawkTheSlayer and Red Lily like this post

Back to top Go down

Schools Kicking "Whole Word" (aka "Sight") Teaching to the Curb; Embracing Phonics Empty Re: Schools Kicking "Whole Word" (aka "Sight") Teaching to the Curb; Embracing Phonics

Post by Red Lily Sat May 20, 2023 6:53 pm

Better late than never and it's great to see.  We need to go back to the time BEFORE the "everyone receives a participation trophy" era and turn the whole system back around to where it was.

Edited.

Last edited by Red Lily on Sat May 20, 2023 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Red Lily
Red Lily

Back to top Go down

Schools Kicking "Whole Word" (aka "Sight") Teaching to the Curb; Embracing Phonics Empty Re: Schools Kicking "Whole Word" (aka "Sight") Teaching to the Curb; Embracing Phonics

Post by 2cent Sat May 20, 2023 6:59 pm

Red Lily wrote:Better late than never and it's great to see.  We need to go back to the time where "everyone receives a participation trophy" and turn the whole system back around to where it was.
Do I understand you correctly? "Everyone deserves a participation trophy," is a good thing?
2cent
2cent

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Lily Sat May 20, 2023 7:08 pm

2cent wrote:
Red Lily wrote:Better late than never and it's great to see.  We need to go back to the time where "everyone receives a participation trophy" and turn the whole system back around to where it was.
Do I understand you correctly?  "Everyone deserves a participation trophy," is a good thing?

NO!  I could have worded that better.   Lol

But when the left took over education and brought in the ridiculous notion that kids should not be graded and "everyone deserves a trophy" because they didn't want to see kids succeed in case others feelings were hurt and they consequently wanted everyone mediocre across the board, everything went to shyt.

They need to get back to the three r's before we churn out yet another generation of nitwits.

Did a quick edit to express what I really meant lol.
Red Lily
Red Lily

2cent likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Sat May 20, 2023 7:18 pm

Red Lily wrote:
2cent wrote:
Do I understand you correctly?  "Everyone deserves a participation trophy," is a good thing?

But when the left took over education and brought in the ridiculous notion that kids should not be graded and "everyone deserves a trophy" because they didn't want to see kids succeed in case others feelings were hurt and they consequently wanted everyone mediocre across the board, everything went to shyt.

They need to get back to the three r's before we churn out yet another generation of nitwits.

Ah. I knew that didn't sound like you, so thanks for the clarification. Yes, indeed, we DO - so DESPERATELY - need to drive home the message that learning is fundamental to everyone's very existence; then, betterment of life. You cannot make it in this world if you do not know the basics, and especially so, if you do not know how to THINK.
2cent
2cent

Red Lily likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Lily Sat May 20, 2023 7:32 pm

2cent wrote:
Red Lily wrote:
2cent wrote:

Ah.  I knew that didn't sound like you, so thanks for the clarification.  Yes, indeed, we DO - so DESPERATELY - need to drive home the message that learning is fundamental to everyone's very existence; then, betterment of life.  You cannot make it in this world if you do not know the basics, and especially so, if you do not know how to THINK.  

We've ended up with a bunch of dimwits who are angry that their gender studies degree is getting them nowhere of merit and a bunch of marketing 'professionals' who have no grasp on reality.

Don't even start me on grammar.
Red Lily
Red Lily

2cent and RV like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RV Sat May 20, 2023 7:59 pm

When I was in school, phonics were very much taught. I still use phonics to this very day.

Now when children visit their school library, they will be able to sound out the smut words they read in the library books. Ain't progress wunnerful!
RV
RV

https://www.oann.com/

Red Lily likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Sun May 21, 2023 12:33 pm

Red Lily wrote:
2cent wrote:
Red Lily wrote:
2cent wrote:

Ah.  I knew that didn't sound like you, so thanks for the clarification.  Yes, indeed, we DO - so DESPERATELY - need to drive home the message that learning is fundamental to everyone's very existence; then, betterment of life.  You cannot make it in this world if you do not know the basics, and especially so, if you do not know how to THINK.  

We've ended up with a bunch of dimwits who are angry that their gender studies degree is getting them nowhere of merit and a bunch of marketing 'professionals' who have no grasp on reality.

Don't even start me on grammar.
My husband makes fun of me, because I correct the TV. LOL
2cent
2cent

Red Lily and RV like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down