Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Redneck Bush Hog

2 posters

Go down

Redneck Bush Hog Empty Redneck Bush Hog

Post by HawkTheSlayer Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:01 pm

Crusader and Thom Paine like this post

Back to top Go down

Redneck Bush Hog Empty Re: Redneck Bush Hog

Post by Casey Jones Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:35 pm

Interesting.

First thought I had, was how ineffective is traction in getting mowing devices to work. I spent three summers pulling gang mowers; and if you hit a patch of grass that hadn't been cut in awhile - perhaps it was too wet the last two times you went through it; wet, soft turf will cause the tractor to bog down, literally bury its wheels...but if the grass is long because the sod just recently dried, it would clog the reels.

Likewise, morning dew or after a rainy night.

THEN...I've worked with hillbilly uses of rebar in the past. Not in pouring concrete - as clubs, as improvised levers, as warning stakes (with a white rag strip tied to them) and that stuff is SOFT.

Rotary mowers in general are dangerous, especially when something lets go. I can just picture a stress fracture of that rebar...especially the bent side, if he hits something again and it gets completely out of balance, one or both sides could be coming right at him.

Maybe end first, like a javelin.

There's always messed-up farm equipment out for sale. He could buy a proper brush-hog, weld repairs...and even with a light duty tractor like a Kubota or Ford 8N, could run it. The Ford would be a pig with it, but by taking smaller bites, he'd get it done.

A bit more safely. I can't imagine that's doing any good to his ATV, there...
Casey Jones
Casey Jones

HawkTheSlayer and Thom Paine like this post

Back to top Go down