Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How sheep are helping to preserve the ruins of Pompeii

+2
jirqoadai
Red Lily
6 posters

Go down

How sheep are helping to preserve the ruins of Pompeii Empty How sheep are helping to preserve the ruins of Pompeii

Post by Red Lily Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:47 pm

A flock of grazing sheep is helping archaeologists to preserve the ancient ruins of Pompeii, the Roman city that was buried under metres of pumice and ash in the calamitous eruption of Mount Vesuvius in AD 79.

Archaeologists have uncovered only around two-thirds of the 66-hectare site at Pompeii since excavations began 250 years ago.

Preserving the unexplored sections of the ancient city against erosion by nature and time is a priority for those who manage the site.

~

Sheep have been deployed to Regio V, a northern section of the city, where grassy hills are dotted with the ruined remains of ancient houses and shops.

“We try to explain that this is actually a sustainable project and it helps the ruins,” he said.

“It’s also something which really gives an idea of how Pompeii was in the time when it was rediscovered. It was woods, vineyards, sheep and it was this kind of rural environment and in the midst of that you had Pompeii.”

https://worldabcnews.com/how-sheep-are-helping-to-preserve-the-ruins-of-pompeii/

How sheep are helping to preserve the ruins of Pompeii Group-of-sheep-graze-on-ancient-site-of-pompeii-italy

How sheep are helping to preserve the ruins of Pompeii Gettyimages-1246127574

How sheep are helping to preserve the ruins of Pompeii 230110-pompeii-house-mb-1329-1d3285

How sheep are helping to preserve the ruins of Pompeii Rs3e_fourth_style

How sheep are helping to preserve the ruins of Pompeii DtWrT8CWwAYN4ri

How sheep are helping to preserve the ruins of Pompeii 5f08b8b0721380612bdc4a5c142436b493cfeb64
Red Lily
Red Lily

HawkTheSlayer and 2cent like this post

Back to top Go down

How sheep are helping to preserve the ruins of Pompeii Empty Re: How sheep are helping to preserve the ruins of Pompeii

Post by jirqoadai Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:21 pm

every fifth building had a hooker working in it. yes, it used to facsinate me too. after i fully understood that the volcano was Gods wrath, i didnt care to learn about any of it anymore.
jirqoadai
jirqoadai

Back to top Go down

How sheep are helping to preserve the ruins of Pompeii Empty Re: How sheep are helping to preserve the ruins of Pompeii

Post by Lummy Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:49 am

An archeological career for a generation or 20. And sheep do all the work? God Bless academia.

Actually, I didn't read the article because it seems so distant. Is there a lesson or two in it to apply to present day archeology? Like the Mystery of Oak Island? Let's talk gold, bro, or at least rusty nails.
Lummy
Lummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lummy Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:00 am

jirqoadai wrote:every fifth building had a hooker working in it. yes, it used to facsinate me too. after i fully understood that the volcano was Gods wrath, i didnt care to learn about any of it anymore.

That, my inquisitive friend, is the universal interpretation of a volcano in any culture. How sheep are helping to preserve the ruins of Pompeii 2812882407
Lummy
Lummy

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:13 pm

Pretty interesting. And a common sense way of avoiding a problem.

Is all that art in its original form?
2cent
2cent

Red Lily likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Jones Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:36 pm

jirqoadai wrote:every fifth building had a hooker working in it. yes, it used to facsinate me too. after i fully understood that the volcano was Gods wrath, i didnt care to learn about any of it anymore.

If true...it's just another way of organizing male-female relationships.

That's a social constant. Men<->women....nookie-nookie.

How they ARRANGE it, varies by culture.

And I dout Pompeii had much on any gold-mining camp-town in the American West.
Casey Jones
Casey Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by vege57 Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:21 am

Nothing a weed eater and a few liters of roundup wouldn't do better lol

Last edited by vege57 on Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:24 am; edited 1 time in total
vege57
vege57

vege57 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by vege57 Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:24 am

Lummy wrote:An archeological career for a generation or 20. And sheep do all the work? God Bless academia.

Actually, I didn't read the article because it seems so distant. Is there a lesson or two in it to apply to present day archeology? Like the Mystery of Oak Island? Let's talk gold, bro, or at least rusty nails.

Oak island falls short of any serious archeology. more into folk lore
vege57
vege57

vege57 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by vege57 Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:26 am

Having a bunch of dumb animals running around an archaeological site isn't likely to do it any favours
vege57
vege57

vege57 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jirqoadai Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:24 am

Casey Jones wrote:

If true...it's just another way of organizing male-female relationships.

That's a social constant.  Men<->women....nookie-nookie.  

How they ARRANGE it, varies by culture.

And I dout Pompeii had much on any gold-mining camp-town in the American West.
Pokehantas gave bjs when she was eight. eight! no. whoring isnt a social constant. the hookers who give bjs die at 21, like her. i do understand itd be better whoring on your own terms, but i have to think most of the ones in pompeii were slaves. like which hooker is capable of renting a room in a building? and the buildings owners sank alot of cash into fitting out the fuckrooms with expensive floor tile and wall murials. it wasnt just some horse stall. a pompeii whore and Kate were worlds apart as class was concerned. Kate OWNED a Globe AZ hotel. i have no idea how she wrangled a pension from the governor. mustve gave him some freebees or something like that.
jirqoadai
jirqoadai

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down