Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"All in the Family" on MeTV

5 posters

Go down

"All in the Family" on MeTV Empty "All in the Family" on MeTV

Post by 2cent Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:10 pm

JIC you needed reminding, (or told?), All in the Family reruns start tonight at 8p.m., (7:00 Central), on MeTV.  33.-3 on Antennae t.v.

Do you plan on watching it?

I'm curios if we'll find it as funny as we did back when.  What do y'all think?  Frankly, I'm surprised the show is being shown at all.
2cent
2cent

Red Lily likes this post

Back to top Go down

"All in the Family" on MeTV Empty Re: "All in the Family" on MeTV

Post by jirqoadai Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:21 pm

i moved on up..........to the eastside. to a delux apartment in the sky.
jirqoadai
jirqoadai

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Lily Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:30 pm

I watched the occasional show here and there back in the day and had a laugh but I was never a devotee.  I always wanted to reach through the screen and slap Meathead (still do) and Sally Struthers.

As an aside, I never got into The Three Stooges style of humor AT ALL!
Red Lily
Red Lily

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:59 pm

Red Lily wrote:I watched the occasional show here and there back in the day and had a laugh but I was never a devotee.  I always wanted to reach through the screen and slap Meathead (still do) and Sally Struthers.

And Meathead, (the twit, Rob Reiner), is even MORE of a meathead today. Well named. Sally? Not so much.

Did you know, though, that the original emphasis was to be put on Archie, only to have the audience laugh AT him, not WITH him? They had to rewrite a lot of scripts, after the bozos in Hollywood figured out the REAL attraction. (FWIW, couldn't bring myself to put this thread in "Hollywood." They don't deserve the attention.)

Anywho's; I always liked the show. Made us laugh at ourselves, and that is always a recipe for success. Even IF the nitwits in H.W. were blind to it at the starts.

2cent
2cent

Red Lily likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Jones Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:57 pm

2cent wrote:JIC you needed reminding, (or told?), All in the Family reruns start tonight at 8p.m., (7:00 Central), on MeTV.  33.-3 on Antennae t.v.

Do you plan on watching it?

I'm curios if we'll find it as funny as we did back when.  What do y'all think?  Frankly, I'm surprised the show is being shown at all.

The show was Norman Lear's way of MOCKING...NORMALCY.

Every American value he could come up with, Lear found a way to mock. He also found normal Americans' lack of interest in deviant sex to be amusing. Remember Archie's preacher? The Reverend Felcher.

Lear knew that no one in healthy America knew what "felching" was at the time, and he and his fag scriptwriters were LAFFING all the way to the bank.

Just one example of hundred.

I was a kid when it was out. By the time the final episodes were done I was 21, and had better things to do with my time than watch tevee, even in winter. But I was still a flaming liberal - because no one had educated me. That task fell to my own sorry arse, and it took another 18 years.

If I were to go back to it, now...I know it would so enrage me I'd smash the monitor. I'd be angry at the television industry, CBS...and myself, for being conned by it.
Casey Jones
Casey Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Jones Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:01 pm

2cent wrote:
Red Lily wrote:I watched the occasional show here and there back in the day and had a laugh but I was never a devotee.  I always wanted to reach through the screen and slap Meathead (still do) and Sally Struthers.

And Meathead, (the twit, Rob Reiner), is even MORE of a meathead today.  Well named.  Sally?  Not so much.

Did you know, though, that the original emphasis was to be put on Archie, only to have the audience laugh AT him, not WITH him?
 They had to rewrite a lot of scripts, after the bozos in Hollywood figured out the REAL attraction.  (FWIW, couldn't bring myself to put this thread in "Hollywood."  They don't deserve the attention.)

Anywho's; I always liked the show.  Made us laugh at ourselves, and that is always a recipe for success.  Even IF the nitwits in H.W. were blind to it at the starts.

Yeah. It's obvious, now.

Archie talked about the Gold Standard in a way to make it sound like sound money was for idiots.

Archie talked about stopping airline hijacking by arming some passengers, again, in a way that sounded like only a brain-damaged churl would support it. Interestingly, thirty years later, airlines were doing just that, with Sky Marshalls.

Archie and Edith were made dumpy, to suggest that only ugly, stupid, ignorant Deplorables would DARE support such things as church, moderation in sexual affairs, work, duty, military service...the whole nine yards.
Casey Jones
Casey Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Crusader Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:15 pm

2cent wrote:

And Meathead, (the twit, Rob Reiner), is even MORE of a meathead today.  Well named.  Sally?  Not so much.

Did you know, though, that the original emphasis was to be put on Archie, only to have the audience laugh AT him, not WITH him?  They had to rewrite a lot of scripts, after the bozos in Hollywood figured out the REAL attraction.  (FWIW, couldn't bring myself to put this thread in "Hollywood."  They don't deserve the attention.)

Anywho's; I always liked the show.  Made us laugh at ourselves, and that is always a recipe for success.  Even IF the nitwits in H.W. were blind to it at the starts.

Meathead was always the idiot on the show. I didn't realize until years later that he wasn't acting.
Crusader
Crusader

Red Lily likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:04 am

Casey Jones wrote:
2cent wrote:

Did you know, though, that the original emphasis was to be put on Archie, only to have the audience laugh AT him, not WITH him?
 They had to rewrite a lot of scripts, after the bozos in Hollywood figured out the REAL attraction.  (FWIW, couldn't bring myself to put this thread in "Hollywood."  They don't deserve the attention.)

Yeah.  It's obvious, now.

Archie talked about the Gold Standard in a way to make it sound like sound money was for idiots.

Archie talked about stopping airline hijacking by arming some passengers, again, in a way that sounded like only a brain-damaged churl would support it.  Interestingly, thirty years later, airlines were doing just that, with Sky Marshalls.

Archie and Edith were made dumpy, to suggest that only ugly, stupid, ignorant Deplorables would DARE support such things as church, moderation in sexual affairs, work, duty, military service...the whole nine yards.
No, JPT. You've got it all backwards.

Yes, that is the angle Lear intended to present to the audience, but the audience forced Lear to rewrite the scripts because they LOVED Archie Bunker - of course because they associated themselves so much with Archie. Lear literally saw the writing on the "feedback wall," and adjusted the program to please the viewers. He even went so far as to allow us to laugh hysterically at prejudice.

That the audience saw themselves in Archie was it's extraordinary success. That Lear saw it, too, was his.

I don't know how you missed all that.

2cent
2cent

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Jones Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:27 pm

Maybe the love was there for Archie.

But Lear didn't see it, or at least, didn't accept it.

How do I know? On some anniversary of the show...about the 5 year mark or 8 year, I don't know...instead of running the show, one Saturday night, Lear gave a long-winded commentary with clips he was so proud of.

He tried to paint the show as sympathetic...right there, that tells you his contempt. We're to feel SORRY for Archie and Edith. And ADMIRE Mike.

He had clips all at the ready...even as a teenager, I felt that was all off-key.

Even though at that point I was still one of the Left's Young Skulls Full of Mush.
Casey Jones
Casey Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down