Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fitting Pipe, Rolling L's, and Three Way 90°s

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fitting Pipe, Rolling L's,  and Three Way 90°s Empty Fitting Pipe, Rolling L's, and Three Way 90°s

Post by HawkTheSlayer Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:03 pm

He knows his stuff. <5 min.

JMWinPR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Fitting Pipe, Rolling L's,  and Three Way 90°s Empty Re: Fitting Pipe, Rolling L's, and Three Way 90°s

Post by jirqoadai Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:31 pm

why wouldnt you bend a 90 and afix the verticle to the radius' center? you could even offset the verticle. theres no reason to start with three pieces.
jirqoadai
jirqoadai

Back to top Go down

Fitting Pipe, Rolling L's,  and Three Way 90°s Empty Re: Fitting Pipe, Rolling L's, and Three Way 90°s

Post by HawkTheSlayer Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:50 pm

jirqoadai wrote:why wouldnt you bend a 90 and afix the verticle to the radius' center? you could even offset the verticle. theres no reason to start with three pieces.
scratch

You can't " bend" even schedule 40 pipe without losing integrity. I'm assuming you mean with heat cause no one really knows what you mean .

You might be able to do what you suggest on a larger, rounded 90.depending on how far the welds were from the tap.

What we have here is a 3-way, true 90. You should see the calculations if the vertical was a 45 , or 36, a rolling el, or anything else.

Electricians piss me off sometimes! Lol.
My dad was an electrician contractor for The Rural Electrification Association(REA) before he joined my grandfather in the retail sector. He was a private contractor electrifying the last parts of the nation that had no power in the late 1950's.

The only plant electricians I ever met were union with MMR and leeches at Dow Chemical in Plaqaumine.
They didn't do shit all day and were working 1 inch conduit. They had manual threaders and that's all they needed. There wasn't much pipe bending going there in a straight piping tray.

I let them use my machine for a while because they asked. But they didn't have the courtesy to even set it back to 2 inches after they finished.

That was the only job I worked in my life that was straight 2-inch, schedule 40, carbon, screw pipe.
No fitting, no grinding, No flanges. No bolting. No cutting. Best job I ever had! Cut short by Hurricanes Gustav and Ike.

Just cutting pipe to spec on a piping machine and threading the ends.

Back to top Go down

Post by jirqoadai Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:55 pm

you know what beating metal does with ballpeen hammer? it increases its strength. bending the pipe should in theory be akin to pulling it. its called finning, no?
jirqoadai
jirqoadai

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:03 pm

jirqoadai wrote:you know what beating metal does with ballpeen hammer? it increases its strength. bending the pipe should in theory be akin to pulling it. its called finning, no?
No. You take any piece of metal and bend it back a forth and it will eventually break .
You never broke wire like that when you had no cutters?

Back to top Go down

Post by jirqoadai Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:09 pm

why would you bend it back and forth. you stretch it once and itll be stronger.
jirqoadai
jirqoadai

Back to top Go down

Post by jirqoadai Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:13 pm

you dont think ive ever tried to unbend a 90? you think ive never bent 80? or plastibond? or IMC? you have cheap fence pipe there. you think ive never bent EMT? or unbent part of an offset? try doing this. use your tractor to bend an offset. then allow it to " mend ". then try to unbend it with your tractor.
jirqoadai
jirqoadai

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:14 pm

jirqoadai wrote:why would you bend it back and forth. you stretch it once and itll be stronger.

Lol @stretching pipe.
Are you trolling me Jebe?

My best at the plant was to send a green one to the tool room for a pipe stretcher.
When I worked glass in between, I would send the green ones to the owners office to retrieve the Blue Glass Stretcher!
Lol.

JMWinPR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:20 pm

jirqoadai wrote:you dont think ive ever tried to unbend a 90? you think ive never bent 80? or plastibond? or IMC? you have cheap fence pipe there. you think ive never bent EMT? or unbent part of an offset? try doing this. use your tractor to bend an offset. then allow it to " mend ". then try to unbend it with your tractor.

I don't think you ever worked with anything but conduit. Never big pipe .
But it's all good cause you know your stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post by jirqoadai Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:24 pm

no. im not trolling you. you can stretch pipe by resizing it. thats what they do with drillstring.
jirqoadai
jirqoadai

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next