Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roman Road Construction

+2
Red Lily
HawkTheSlayer
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Roman Road Construction - Page 2 Empty Re: Roman Road Construction

Post by Calypso Jones Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:06 am

Ever wonder why ancient construction lasts so much longer than modern day?

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/roman-concrete-mystery-ingredient-scn/index.html
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:19 am

vege57 wrote:
HawkTheSlayer wrote:
Red Lily wrote:Great straight to the point video.  The Romans were masterful engineers.

They were pretty good at crucifixion, too! silent

Crucifixion is a bit of a myth , in the classical sense, There is only one example of nails being used to secure someone and that was found in in dig , they have an ankle bone with a nail in it, , They were more likely to be tied to a X , tie  arms and legs , , in roman times they only put traitors on an X  , The rest had their heads cut off , or used for entertainment in the arena lol
FWIW, that's what I was taught - in a Roman Catholic school. Is what lead me to believe it was common knowledge.
2cent
2cent

vege57 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:25 am

Calypso Jones wrote:Ever wonder why ancient construction lasts so much longer than modern day?

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/roman-concrete-mystery-ingredient-scn/index.html
Lack of slave labor? Roman Road Construction - Page 2 553500953
2cent
2cent

Back to top Go down

Post by jirqoadai Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:07 am

right. no nails. some of these had no nails. some were indeed nailed. crucified armenian women in the area of Der-es-Zor. 16 were nailed in a city. nairaland.com
jirqoadai
jirqoadai

Back to top Go down

Post by vege57 Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:09 pm

2cent wrote:
vege57 wrote:
HawkTheSlayer wrote:
Red Lily wrote:Great straight to the point video.  The Romans were masterful engineers.

Crucifixion is a bit of a myth , in the classical sense, There is only one example of nails being used to secure someone and that was found in in dig , they have an ankle bone with a nail in it, , They were more likely to be tied to a X , tie  arms and legs , , in roman times they only put traitors on an X  , The rest had their heads cut off , or used for entertainment in the arena lol
FWIW, that's what I was taught - in a Roman Catholic school.  Is what lead me to believe it was common knowledge.  

I watched an interesting doco on the burning of witches,, they implied that these woman were more often than not garroted whilst tied to the stake by what ever priest or clergy that was overseeing the exorcism, I got the feeling that the burning was more of a cleansing ritual to banish the devil from the persons physical body

Just my take from it
vege57
vege57

vege57 and 2cent like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by vege57 Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:05 pm

jirqoadai wrote:right. no nails. some of these had no nails. some were indeed nailed. crucified armenian women in the area of Der-es-Zor. 16 were nailed in a city. nairaland.com

The weight of the average person would probably not be held in place with a nail though the hand with all the wringing it would most likely tear out , I was talking the classical idea of crucifixion, , If you have evidence of ancient crucifixions using nails then buy all means post it
vege57
vege57

vege57 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jirqoadai Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:12 am

yeah. i sure as hell do. Thomas said if Jesus Christ had indeed arisen from the grave, he himself would stick his fingers into the holes in his Saviours hands. not wrists, but hands. ever hear of a fender washer? an iron fender washer would fit the billing. after death, the nail and washer would be reclaimed for other purposes after further refining.
jirqoadai
jirqoadai

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:05 am

vege57 wrote:
2cent wrote:
vege57 wrote:
HawkTheSlayer wrote:

FWIW, that's what I was taught - in a Roman Catholic school.  Is what lead me to believe it was common knowledge.  

I watched an interesting doco on the burning of witches,, they implied that these woman were more often than not garroted whilst tied to the stake by what ever priest or clergy that was overseeing the exorcism, I got the feeling that the burning was more of a cleansing ritual to banish the devil from the persons physical body  

Just my take from it
Sounds plausible. I was taught that most "witches" likely asphyxiated before ever getting actually burned. I'm not as ready to jump on that band wagon. I know how much it burns to be too close to a fire.
2cent
2cent

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2