Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scary: Texas Electric Companies Raised Residents Smart Thermostats Without their Consent

3 posters

Go down

Scary: Texas Electric Companies Raised Residents Smart Thermostats Without their Consent Empty Scary: Texas Electric Companies Raised Residents Smart Thermostats Without their Consent

Post by Elizabeth Theus Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:28 pm

Residents in Texas who have smart home thermostats were deeply disturbed during the state’s latest heat wave.

Texans who have smart thermostats reported that their temperatures to their homes were raised without their knowledge.

Reports revealed that electric companies in the state raised the temperatures of homes remotely to almost 78 degrees to conserve energy consumption.

The actions by the companies were part of a sweepstakes that residents unknowingly signed up for which gave the electric companies the right to change their customers thermostats.

I guess it’s always wise to read the fine print because you never know who’s trying to pull a quick one on you in this day of age.

WFAA reported a resident’s personnel experience of their thermostat being changed:

Some neighbors in the Houston area said their homes have been much warmer this week, even while they are running their air conditioners.

Many of them claim someone has been turning up the temperature on their thermostats since the energy shortage began.

When Deer Park resident Brandon English got home from work on Wednesday, his house was hot.

“(My wife) had it cranked it down at 2:30,” English said. “It takes a long time for this house to get cool when it gets that hot.”

English’s wife and their daughters decided to take their afternoon nap earlier in the day.

“They’d been asleep long enough that the house had already gotten to 78 degrees,” English said. “So they woke up sweating.”

Without anyone touching it, they said their thermostat was changed while they were sleeping, making their home unbearably hot.

His wife received an alert on her phone soon after that. The family said their thermostat had been changed remotely, raising the temperature of their home during a three-hour “energy saving event.”

The family’s smart thermostat was installed a few years ago as part of a new home security package. Many smart thermostats can be enrolled in a program called “Smart Savers Texas.” It’s operated by a company called EnergyHub.

The agreement states that in exchange for an entry into sweepstakes, electric customers allow them to control their thermostats during periods of high energy demand. EnergyHub’s list of its clients include TXU Energy, CenterPoint and ERCOT.

continued:
https://welovetrump.com/2021/06/21/scary-texas-electric-companies-raised-residents-smart-thermostats-without-their-consent/?utm_source=newsletter_randy&utm_medium=mixed&utm_campaign=newsletter_randy
Elizabeth Theus
Elizabeth Theus

Red Lily likes this post

Back to top Go down

Scary: Texas Electric Companies Raised Residents Smart Thermostats Without their Consent Empty Re: Scary: Texas Electric Companies Raised Residents Smart Thermostats Without their Consent

Post by Elizabeth Theus Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:30 pm

This is exactly one of the many reasons why I would NEVER have any of these "smart" products.  With all the many ways people come up with to hack everything imagineable...who knows who/how/what someone else could have control of in YOUR home....?
Elizabeth Theus
Elizabeth Theus

Back to top Go down

Scary: Texas Electric Companies Raised Residents Smart Thermostats Without their Consent Empty Re: Scary: Texas Electric Companies Raised Residents Smart Thermostats Without their Consent

Post by Casey Jones Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:29 am

Who the hell didn't see this coming?

We got the first round of "Smart" meters two weeks ago. I can't wait for the new wiring that has to go into the air-conditioner circuit, so they can **KNOW** how much electricity I'm "wasting" by staying cool.

The simple answer is to say "Fuggett" and just not run this stuff.  Makes your life simple - right now it's 78 degrees inside, 70 outside (temperature falls fast, nights in the mountains) and I have a utility fan, a squirrel-cage blower with piping...venting out the apartment.

While waiting, I can endure 80-degree heat.

Now I know it's a bit different in East Texas; but...these crazed oligarchs and Dumbo cRats, are hellbent on taking away modern living.  Deal with it.  De Nile is a river in Egypt; we have to face the here and now.

One more reason we need a big, beautiful wall...between Texas, Montana, Florida...and Washingtoon.
Casey Jones
Casey Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:17 pm

From author, "Anthony T":
I guess it’s always wise to read the fine print...
Ya think?

The ability of these companies to change the thermostats remotely was right there in black and white for any prospective customer to read prior to signing on to this "sweepstakes," so don't expect any pity from me.  I'm tired of stupid.
2cent
2cent

Elizabeth Theus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down