Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Documentary The Pirate Ships The Great Ships History Channel

2 posters

Go down

Documentary The Pirate Ships The Great Ships History Channel Empty Documentary The Pirate Ships The Great Ships History Channel

Post by The Mariner Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:19 am

The Mariner
The Mariner

Red Lily, 2cent and Lummy like this post

Back to top Go down

Documentary The Pirate Ships The Great Ships History Channel Empty Re: Documentary The Pirate Ships The Great Ships History Channel

Post by 2cent Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:31 pm

The Mariner wrote:
Thanks for that. Yup, watched the whole thing - stopping to take care of business along the way.

IAC, a capturing, and honest, view of pirates. And yes, the fine line between "pirate" and "privateer." (I've just recently read a few of Patrick O'Brian's tales of Cap't Aubrey and Maturin novels.)

Movies romanticize pirating - who didn't cheer on Erol Flynn? - much as they do Bonny and Clyde, and the James Gang. Oh well. That's Hollywood, and I was an avid fan of Squash Bucklers, buchaneers, and the whole nine yards. Loved every minute of it! Hard telling what impressed me more: the wild adventurism, or the beauty of those mahogany and brass ships.

FWIW, I agree w/the author: Black Bart had evil heads above Black Beard any day.
2cent
2cent

The Mariner likes this post

Back to top Go down

Documentary The Pirate Ships The Great Ships History Channel Empty Re: Documentary The Pirate Ships The Great Ships History Channel

Post by The Mariner Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:35 pm

2cent wrote:
The Mariner wrote:
Thanks for that.  Yup, watched the whole thing - stopping to take care of business along the way.

IAC, a capturing, and honest, view of pirates.  And yes, the fine line between "pirate" and "privateer."  (I've just recently read a few of Patrick O'Brian's tales of Cap't Aubrey and Maturin novels.)  

Movies romanticize pirating - who didn't cheer on Erol Flynn? - much as they do Bonny and Clyde, and the James Gang.  Oh well.  That's Hollywood, and I was an avid fan of Squash Bucklers, buchaneers, and the whole nine yards.  Loved every minute of it!  Hard telling what impressed me more:  the wild adventurism, or the beauty of those mahogany and brass ships.  

FWIW, I agree w/the author:  Black Bart had evil heads above Black Beard any day.

Always was fascinated by ships of all kinds but my favorites have been the whole pirate ships of old & submarines of WW2 to the present. America & Hollywood does romanticize these things but who doesn't like Pirates Of The Caribbean or Black Sails?

The actual history tends to be a lot more unsavory but no less intriguing.
The Mariner
The Mariner

2cent likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down