Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Venice:City of Beauty

3 posters

Go down

Venice:City of Beauty Empty Venice:City of Beauty

Post by HawkTheSlayer Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:59 pm

I love the water. Living over the water is something I've done more than once. Getting around by boat suits me just fine.
It's not for everyone in today's world.

I've been  watching a show about Venice narrated by Leonard Nimoy.
Its amazing how the city was built.

I think i would do fine living there. I hope i get to visit one day.

Calypso Jones likes this post

Back to top Go down

Venice:City of Beauty Empty Re: Venice:City of Beauty

Post by HawkTheSlayer Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:25 pm

Crocodile Dundee on Laff TV.
I haven't seen that in decades

Calypso Jones likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jirqoadai Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:34 pm

venice is sinking. by 6" a year. do it soon or yll miss out
jirqoadai
jirqoadai

HawkTheSlayer and Calypso Jones like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Jones Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:01 pm

I had lived by the water much of my young-adult life.

Courtesy of the magic-money investments my father made. And before that, summering in the Adirondacks.

One of my favorite places on Lake Chautauqua....was the "Inlet," a creek that had been dredged to make it navigable by powerboat, for about a mile. Less-rich property owners, some of them year-round residents, would buy small lots on that creek. The land was wooded; the streets picturesque; most of it had been built up around 1930.

The place to get cheap marine gas, with a 24:1 oil mixture (for 2-stroke outboards) was half a mile down there.

Summers, when the sun was out...people would be having picnics on their front yard or sitting in lounge chairs, laying in hammocks. Kids would be dropping in the water from rope swings. There was water movement, so it wasn't stagnant, but it wasn't a rapid creek.

Living on the water. Our own cabin was about 300 feet back from the shore. Actually, that was good, because when the ice went out in spring, it would blow to the west shore and pile up. Our front-yard trees were always scarred, sometimes ten feet up.

Earlier, our Adirondack rented cabin sat on rock pilings, right on the shore. The dock was four steps over. The water was incredibly deep, just three feet away from the shore it was an eight-foot drop. A glacial lake.

Later, I couldn't afford that; and my old man rented his cabin out while it magically increased 100x in value. But, age 32, I spent the summer in Alaska...out of work, I drifted up there, looking for work, any work. I got a job at a cannery in Cordova, Alaska.

The cannery buildings WERE LITERALLY out over the water. Many of THEM were old-school, with peaked roofs, conifers shading everything.

And that was that.

Since then, I've discovered the restorative power of the dry Western climate. It's no surprise that many older people prefer it. What it lacks, in some places, in lush green background, the dry mountain air more than makes up for.

I don't believe I'll ever willingly move back east.
Casey Jones
Casey Jones

HawkTheSlayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jirqoadai Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:27 am

something tells me that a poster on here has never read about Erwin Rommel trying to move through a fucking sand box while only having a half gallon of water for each front line soldier per day.
jirqoadai
jirqoadai

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down